Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Blast from the past - 5 DEC 2010

OK, instead of me re-entering my posts and setting the dates to what they were, I'm just going to repost using a current date.....

So back on December 5th, I got a chance to go back down to Kuwait City for the day.  Saw a few sites, did some shopping at the malls, and had some Lebanese food.  It was nice to get off base and go somewhere besides work....

Here's probably the most photographed objects in Kuwait.  The Kuwait Towers.





And here's Kuwait's current tallest building, the Al Hamra tower.... 413 meters (1,353 ft).  They're already planning a new tower though.... the Madinat al-Hareer, which is supposed to be 1001 meters (3,284 ft) which will be the world's tallest when completed....


And if you've noticed, I'm starting to dig Lebanese food.  Any chance I get, we go to a place called Awtar Libnan located at the Marina Mall in the Salmiya area of KC.  Very good stuff, especially if you like lamb.  :)
I think my favorite so far is the Lamb Arrayess.  Think quesadilla except with thick tortillas and ground lamb instead of cheese.  MMMMM.... They also have some other interesting dishes.  I forget what this was called, but it mainly ground up beef with spices served uncooked.  Not too bad, but not something I'd eat every day.  And they have an excellent dish comprised of 'squeeky cheese' on lettuce.  Very good stuff.

And lastly for the day, we spent an hour or so running around the pipe shops in Fahaheel.  At least I think that's where we were.  Need a water pipe?  This is one of several hundred shops that specialize in these.  Shisha is huge over here.... everyone has one, and they range from micro-mini, to ultra-mega huge.....  These guys would make a killing back in the states.....

Anyways, a pretty good day overall.  I like getting down to the city and into the backstreets.  The people are more normal than at the malls....


More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment