Sunday, January 16, 2011

Welcome to Al-Fintas!

So I mentioned earlier that my company has me doing a temporary job (6~8 weeks) down in Kuwait City.  They put me up in an apartment down in an area south of KC called Al-Fintas.

Not too bad of a place, but not having a car kind of limits how much of the area I can see and explore.  So I've been getting my supplies down at the local co-op store and some of my food at the vendor around the corner.

I needed some more disposable razors, but these were all the co-op had....


Yes.  Disposable straight razors.  My wife is concerned about this..... She tells me  "Very dangerous...... you go first".
They actually shave quite nicely, but for some reason, every time I use it, I get hungry for meat pies and want to break into song....


If you're interested in straight razors, you can always check out:  classicshaving.com

Speaking of food....  just up around the corner from the apartment building is a small food shop that specializes in Shawarma.  Think 'taco', only Arabic.  :)  Good stuff.  Typically it's shaved lamb, but they also can be made with beef and chicken.


Normally they're served wrapped up in pita bread, but I forgot to ask for that and these ended up in hot dog buns.  Still very good.  They give you little bags of pickled veggies or peppers with them.  Very good and very inexpensive.  Usually 250 fils each, so 4 for a KD.  That's about $3.50 US.

Would you like to know more?  

So I'm up on the 14th floor, and the apartment is on the Gulf side of the building.  Since I'm working nights now, I've been getting quite a few of these views in the morning when I get back....

 
It's pretty cool to watch the sun come up so quickly.  Especially when there aren't any mountains in the way.  I'm going to try and shoot some video.... :)


And I went exploring the fire escapes this afternoon.  Went up as far as I could, and opened the door they have there (although I'm not sure why you'd want to put a little balcony in that spot), and took a couple of pics....


This was from the 21st floor, looking north from the building...
You can't really see them in this pic, but there are swimming pools on the two towers across the way.

And here's one for those of you that like heights....

There's a mosque up around the corner that I'm going to try (on the sly) to take some pictures of.  A very beautiful building.  But you do have to take care when taking photos of them.

More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment