Sunday, January 2, 2011

I can fix it..... I'm mechanical

To kill the slack time over here, a few of us got R/C cars.  The other guys bought new ones, but my son was kind enough to let me borrow his for a while.  It's a couple of years old, and while it still ran pretty good, time has taken its toll on it.
When it got here it needed the steering servo rebuilt (the little motor/gearbox that turns the front wheels) and the original battery was a bit lacking.  Once I got it up and running again, its performance wasn't nearly what the other guy's cars are.  So....  I made some basic (e.g. inexpensive) upgrades.

First up, shocks cleaned and rebuilt using heavier oil and and some higher rate springs. 


Next I mounted up some new tires.  The fronts are in good shape, but the rear wheels were broken around the lip and the tires were getting a little worn out.  And, because there happens to be a LOT of sand over here, I invested in some paddles.



So here's what it looks like with the upgraded stuff, and stock tires.




And with the paddles....




I also (since it takes about 10 days to get parts shipped over here) picked up some spare gear sets, a-arms and misc hardware.  I haven't had a chance to run it with the new stuff yet, but it should do much better.

More later.

















No comments:

Post a Comment